(Artists) To Watch: 9 Painters to Love from Your Lounge Chair
Mom, I get it. You wanna see cool stuff on the regs but can’t leave the confines of your home. Well, good news! You can be a virtual born vivant if you know where to go on the webs. And, today, you’ve come to the right place!
Look what I found for you to see! Great art and info about cool artists that are trending in both my heart and on the information superhighway.
1. Meghan Brady- Huge paintings with patterns and bold color on oddly shaped canvases or gigantic paper.
3. Nina Chanel Abney- Big show (Royal Flush) at the Chicago Cultural Center this year and lotsa collabs with tip top brands too. She uses simple shapes, symbols, and bold color to communicate political ideas and opinions.
4. Njideka Akunyili Crosby- MacArthur Genius Grantee for 2017, Crosby makes large-scale collage-paintings that address her childhood in Nigeria and adjustment to life in Los Angeles as an adult.
6. Grace Weaver- She’s an Internet hit. Her work is easily relatable- its often about body image, social media, and millennial culture. Great colors, too.
7. Faye Wei Wei- Large-scale imaginative paintings with figures- lotsa scribbly lines and smudgy colors.
9. Hayv Karahman- Iraqi-born artist makes work about culture and identity that reimagines traditional symbols and imagery.
Who am I missing?!
P.S. “Oldies” making NEWS.
Jenny Saville- Became “the most expensive living female artist” in 2018 with the sale of “Propped”, which fetched $12.4 million at Sotheby’s in October.
Hilma af Klint- Swedish artist who’s work was secret until a current show at the Guggenheim that ALL THE COOL MOMS are seeing.