The Friday 5–> Perfect Weekend Pairings: Race in America
Switching things up a bit this Friday for a new series I’m calling “Perfect Weekend Pairings.” I’ll choose a theme and create some inter-disciplinary partnerships that are current and most definitely cool. And you’ll have all weekend to digest.
Today’s topic: Race in America
K, Here goes...
Pair this BOOK
1. How To Be Less Stupid About Race by Crystal M. Fleming (Sept. 18)
With this PODCAST
2. Call Your Girlfriend, White Fragility Episode- (Aug 31)
And this VIDEO
3. Democrat (running for Senate in Texas) Beto O’Rourke responds to question about NFL players “taking a knee” during national anthem. (Aug. 18)
And this SONG
5. Chicago rapper Noname’s “Blaxploitation” track off of her new EP Room 25. (Sept 14)
And these PAINTINGS
6. Amy Sherald’s (famous for Michelle Obama’s official portrait) new show at the Crystal Bridges Museum. Sherald paints portraits of Black individuals using a grayscale for their skin tone in an effort to “remove color from race.” (Sept 1- Dec 31)
Oh and can’t forget this exhibition (which I mentioned last week).
What’s NEW and crucial to this conversation, Mom? Please add to the comments below!
Be sure to stay cool. All weekend long.
P.S. Public Schools and My White Child, a bit I wrote about “choosing” a school for my son (from May 2018).
Cover image by Nina Chanel Abney, who recently curated “Punch” at Jeffrey Deitch Gallery, which opened Sept. 15