So, we’re having a little warm-up here in the Midwest, but let’s not forget, we are in the THROWS of winter. I thought I’d share some things that are helping me get through. In reality, I’m really a dry-skinned, mitten-losing mess. On a good, day, I’ve got this stuff...
1. Oversized turtleneck sweater- I have one from Madewell but they’re all sold out this year. My colleague has this one from Everlane in gray. I like to think I could wear the white version but I don’t have that kind of life.
2. Warm socks- Wigwam makes good ones. They’re no Smartwool but they’re half the price and will do the job without all the wacky patterns.
3. Black Chelsea boots- I have an el cheapo pair from H&M that I don’t mind getting nasty. If you’re willing to invest, I like these from Cole Haan or these Doc Martens. My friend Molly has something like these waterproof Chelsea boots and says they are the best purchase of her life.
4. Hoop earrings- Cause you gotta jazz it up in all this dreary.
5. Puffer- You gotta have one in these parts. I finally retired a REAL oldie this year and was on the hunt for a new one. I love this one from Everlane but didn’t think it would fit over the growing tum tum. I finally bought this one (80% down(!) and on sale for $50 in store) from H&M (FYI my old coat was from H&M and confirmed by many to be the warmest coat in history).
6. Mom Jeans- The Levi’s Wedgie are loved by me and many a cooler person than me. I love that they are such great quality for a good price. And “no stretch” means you can’t see every little curve of my mom bod. Bummin’ they don’t have a maternity version.
7. “Ultimate strength” hand lotion- I am by no means a nice hands kinda gal. It drives my friends nuts that I still bite my nails. And pair that with my art teacher gig... well, don’t think too hard about what I’m ingesting. Anyways, this winter, I’ve been carrying around summa this stuff in my purse and, geez, I feel like a rich lady!! Hands all moisturized and glowing, I’ve been even resisting the urge to chow down!
8. Lip balm- Just discovered this stuff and, boy, is it good! Looks a bit like Vaseline but without the whole petroleum part. That said, I have NO idea what’s in Baby Lips that makes it so unnaturally smooth and glossy... probably only organic stuff.
9. Hat and gloves- The real jackpot is that Uniqlo has cashmere hats and gloves for, like, nothing BUT they’re all sold out. Darn! I had a set in black last year and, of course, lost them. This year, I went with camel to compliment my ghostly winter skin.
I’d love to know what’s helping you cool moms keep it together. Please comment with your essential winter goods!!