Beware the Pinterest House; 9 Rules for a Non-Boring Home
Couldn't help but feel a bit humbled after reading "Beware the Pinterest House"- it's a short piece that makes fun of all of the interior design scenesters whose homes all look alike.
Guilty, guilty guilty.
Home decor isn't my forte. I'm half disinterested, half intimidated. I like a few rooms in our apartment, but, on the whole, I don't think it reflects my tastes or aesthetic. I'm real guilty of buying the cheap and trendy stuff at Target and then hating it two months later.
My cousin, Kelsey, on the other hand, has it DOWN. I walked into her apartment for book club a few weeks ago and immediately felt a friendship for it. "Ohh, I see you, little wooden seagull on the windowsill! I see you, old French Horn on the bar cart!" All the things I know and love about Kelsey (and her fiancee, Jeff) were front and center, on display.
Kelsey's very intentional about her home and she doesn't follow (ALL THE) trends.
Here are her rules for making your home interesting and unique, just like you!
1. Showcase your hobbies (Jeff's a musician, Kelsey's a sailor).
2. Cluster your collections.
3. Repeat a good color.
4. Find weird stuff in thrift stores.
5. Put unlike objects together.
6. Embrace your inner artist and paint yourself a (MFing) mural!
7. Display travel finds in unexpected spots.
8. Choose a bold color and go wild with it.
9. Bring the outdoors indoors!
I love all the personal touches that make her home unique. I'm going to try and follow suit from here on out.
Thanks for sharing your apartment and all the tips and tricks for making it super rad, Kelsey!